Monday, June 30, 2008

Silver lining for new gay marriage focus?

Hey all. We are all still pretty traumatized bc of the car wreck. My arm was really hurt bad. I told our choir director that I didn't want to play the flute/pic but he talked me into it b/c he said he likes having me to cover up the choir (it isn't the very best quality singing ensemble ever. Put it that way). I would not be happy with this if I were a singer, which actually I am normally. Oh well. So he talked me into it and I did it and I was just a little bit too out of it still. Hadn't really had enough time to have the part I wrote sink in because I was obviously winging it. Sad.

Anyway they read that first presidency message on gay marriage. I really think that the church is thus far taking the wrong approach. I think that anything done through the government, partnerships for tax or whatever else purposes, next of kin or whaever , should be the same for hetero/homo couples. It could be called a civil union and then we all would have it just the same no matter who we were. Then actual marriage could kind of be abolished except for those of us who wanted it as an ecclesiastical function.

That sounds kind of radical, but that is actually the way it used to be. That is why Hen VIII had to get Rome's approval to marry/divorce because it was done through the church. I am not exactly sure whether that was the beginning of governments being a part of marriage in the English speaking world or not. But why in the WORLD are they at all? Especially as a conservative, who doesn't think that governments should be involved in ANYTHING that they don't absolutely HAVE to be,

No comments: