Monday, May 12, 2008

Weather in UK vs Oregon

Someone asked me if I was going to do some more posting about my trip, well I think that I talked about most of the things that people would actually be interested in. For the most part I just saw rather obscure things related to all of the historical obsessions I have, and I am not sure that anyone would get much out of it. What I will do is post later my travel articles that I do for Helium plus a few more of the videos, of course plus anything I happen to think of as it comes to me.

For example, I thought I would do one on how the weather was while I was there.

Stacey has said, and I am starting to understand why, that she wouldn't want to live in Oregon because she thought that the weather here was like it is over there in UK. But weather usually doesn't factor into things for me because choices usually haven't been that bad, or that good because SOCAL isn't on the table unfortunately. I get into enough crashes anyway and we would have to buy like forty pairs of gloves a year so I tend to not like snow that much, or any extreme cold.

But after my trip here I am starting to understand why someone who put the two together would have such an extreme negative perception of the weather in Oregon. And considering that it was nothing at all like Oregon, I was under the impression that you haven't been to Oregon in the winter, so that must be something that you were told, probably by some of the Arizona people that think it is rainy by comparison. But I don't think there was two weeks in the whole entire winter this year or in recent years in Oregon that matched the collection of nastiness I experienced there, and know why it is clearly the off travel season.

I got there after it had snowed a few days prior. (this is mid April). Then as I was walking outside of London two days later it HAILED on me. The day that I travelled by train to Canterbury there was audible thunder, which there NEVER is here in Oregon. It stormed the whole time I was in Canterbury and near the coast making it very hellish to castle explore because it created very bad wind tunnels that were probably worse than it would have been outside (except for the hail, yep another day of hail in Canterbury) and only one day of a few breaks of occasional sun in Scotland... Ironically the only warmer weather was after I had broken down and paid an outrageous amount of money for another coat.

So basically I had assumed the same thing (before I had spent much time with a direct comparison - the last time I was in England I remember that it was much colder but I don't think that I had your theory in my mind and I was pregnant so my sense of temperature was pretty messed up.) In Oregon now we are already down to at most a tshirt and windbreaker, but over there it was full 'blown' winter gear.

Not comparable, I don't think, in fact I don't even think it is overcast here as much as there sine you not only have clouds there but it is foggy because of the water on all sides, and definitely not as cold. It is already fairly warmish by April here if not exactly dry, and February is a little colder (not than UK but colder than April here) but actually quite dry. Falls until November are quite beautiful, and summers are paradisaical. Not too hot or muggy. There are only about 2 weeks in the year where we would turn on the AC if we had it. Plus here it is a three hour drive to California rather than the channel. Actually since you can drive to the coast, to year-round snow and to dessert the summers can be whatever you want them to be here.

I wondered whether it was a fluke the weather there but I asked around the whole time whether that weather was typical for that time or year or for any year, particularly in Scotland when it got the coldest, and everyone said 'Aye, aye, aye.' So I got excited to that I might be able to alleviate Oregon's guilt by association, and of course encourage anyone to have a visit to check it out for themselves.

And BTW I guess the truth of it is that I always knew that Canterbury has a certain reputation for spring weather, and really it is appropriate to experience it on a 'pilgrimage' there:

Whan that April with his showres soote
The droughte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour

Of which vertu engendred is the flowr;
Whan Zephyrus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halve cours yronne,
And smale fowles maken melodye
That sleepen al the night with open ye—
So priketh hem Nature in hir corages—
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,

3 comments:

IandS said...

You must have been unlucky - I spoke to my Mom today and she said the temps were in the 80s and very pleasant. PLUS - I come from Suffolk where the weather is not as extreme as you experienced. Scotland and the northern part of England is typically colder and more volatile.

morganspice said...

It was really really bad even in London. It hailed in Canterbury, which is south of London, and there was snow in Southampton.

But whatever the case, it is better in Oregon, so I guess that's extra good.

morganspice said...

And I guess a month could make a lot of difference this time of year. Is 80's typical for early May? And I have also heard the east coast is warmer than the west coast, something b/c of the Gulf?

I guess if I had my druthers on weather I don't mind a lot of so-so weather, the kind where you would be plenty comfortable just wouldn't plan a picnic, and very little weather where you can't spend more than just a few seconds outside because of either extreme.

I have had to walk the dog a lot here and last year took the bus a lot and it would be very depressing if I had have to endure many of those days. Just the bundling up alone. Everyone had a scarf and gloves there and not very many people wear those at all here.

But that's not to say I wouldn't LIVE there, I would in a flash. It is awesome! Some places like Boston for me (sad) are good enough to make up for it.