Saturday, October 11, 2008

Freelance Jouralist/ebook job

While things are dicey on the health and housekeeping front (now that I am choosing to medicate my back pain a lot less I can only stand or sit for short periods so cooking and cleaning go bye bye), the job front is great. Lying on my side, the only thing that doesn't ultimately make me writhe with pain after an hour, is fairly conducive to freelance journalism, and through the site elance I have gotten some actual real jobs. I have accepted four or five assignments from this guy, I have no idea where or what he does but first he had me write about thirty articles on various topics, probably for spam websites (sorry), but then he had me do a substantive job writing an ebook. It wasn't an exciting topic - running you spa business, but it is great to say that I have now written a book. And it is the kind of writing that is very hot right now. Everyone wants content providers because web content is one of the most widely consumed commodities lately and there are no more writers than there used to be so the price goes up. Particularly business management stuff is hot, so I guess it is fine that I didn't just do my thing because few people pay that much for Tudor history writing.

Although, I did get named the European History Steward for Helium, so now I am officially a part of that great organization, that has paid me enough this year that I will have to fill out a W2 for the first time in about six years, for good or ill. And more and more of the time my pieces are being grabbed by other people for their web content, so it is just like putting what I write out there instead of just keeping it to myself and without doing anything it sells once in a while. I still think that any of you who write about ANYTHING should consider it because it will gradually add up to some serious money for things you already do. I am going to put a permalink on my site for signing up for Helium because supposedly you can do that now without specifically getting an email you have to respond to. Those of you who post to forums or whatever on various topics might want to consider it, because you get paid for doing the same thing.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Great job on the stewardship! I've thought about giving Helium a try. How does it work?

morganspice said...

Sandy, you should definitely check it out. Here's a link.

It's really easy, you write on anthing that interests you and if it gets read you accrue money, and there are also contests and chances to sell articles for more.

It would be cool to see some people I know there!

http://www.helium.com/?iw=370124