Saturday, February 27, 2010

Figuring out my life

I have been actually reading about long-term sleep deprivation and it is me. It really explains a lot, not just the acute problems in the last few years.

Sleep deprivation is often not unpleasant and that might effect whether or not an individual chooses to do anything about me. Anyone who knows me like from my college or even sleepover days knows that I liked to stay up all night. I used to thrive on it as a way to get extra hours of productivity during the day. Slade used to have me drive all day and night when we went on trips because it seemed to not affect me.

But that is because of the difference in some individuals' response to sleep loss. Some people get more tired some people get LESS tired. Slade used to beg me to try to sleep after a while because I didn't think there was anything wrong with it and I didn't seem to need it. I definitely didn't get more tired.

But those who claim that they need sleep are the ones that have the proper sleep-tiredness relationship. I definitely have the opposite one in which I get less tired and even less inhibited and I actually felt good. There are some studies in which sleep deprivation is used to cure depression because it tends to make people manic.

So I got the reputation of not needing sleep but the thing was I needed it all along, just as much as the people who get tired. So I used to not even care until the last few years where I obviously passed some sort of tolerance threshold.

No comments: